Training will be delivered by Dr. Andy Young, Professor of Psychology and Counseling at Lubbock Christian University.
Dr. Young is a Negotiator and Psychological Consultant for the Lubbock Police Department’s SWAT team. In addition, Dr. Young has been on the negotiating team at the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office since 2000 and has been asked to join the team at Texas Department of Public Safety. Dr. Young has written a book called “Fight or Flight”: Negotiating Crisis on the Front Line. And has published research on the callot experience, personality, and decision–making styles of negotiators and SWAT operators.
Prerequisites for Mental Health Officer Proficiency Certification:
- Currently appointed as a peace officer, county jailer or justice of the peace
- At least two years experience as a peace officer, county jailer, or justice of the peace
- If not currently a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must meet the current enrollment standards
- If an applicant is a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must not ever have had a license or certificate issued by the commission suspended or revoked
- If an applicant is a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must have met the continuing education requirements for the previous training cycle
- Successful completion of a training course in emergency first aid and lifesaving techniques (Red Cross or equivalent)
- Successful completion of the current mental health peace officer training course, pass the approved written examination for mental health officer proficiency, with a score of 80% or better, and pass the skills based exam with a grade of satisfactory.
The date of the class is: August 12-16, 2019 (40 hours).
The location of the class will be at the SPAG Regional Law Enforcement Academy building located at 1321 58th Street in Lubbock.
The cost is: $125 per person.
Please contact the SPAG Academy Staff to sign up for the course: 806-762-8721.
Please notify at the time of registration is special accommodations need to be made prior to attending the class. Business Casual attire is recommended.